Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Farley's Furloughed Fat Ass Fifty: April 15th, 2020

 I have always thought about doing run from our apartment in Northwest San Francisco to the East Peak of Mt. Tamalpais which is about ~25 miles away by mostly trail.  Due to the COVID pandemic I was furloughed from my job around mid April to mid June.  I immediately recognized this as a great opportunity to complete this mission.  I had my route all planned out and was praying there would be water available on the course.  Since the pandemic was only about a month in and the parking lots at the parks were closed I was unsure whether the bathrooms would be open etc..  Anyway, I decided to find out and would have enough water with me to last awhile and I could always call Jess for a ride if the worse case scenario happened.  Like many of us I was definitely in a weird place mentally and needed a big effort like this to clear my head and reflect on everything going on.  The furlough allowed me to get out there during the week which was a good thing because I knew there would be a lot less foot traffic on a Wednesday.  The run ended up being very spiritual and the water was on at Mt. Tam and in the Headlands.  The last 15 miles on the way back were very tough as I was extremely tired and exhausted as it turned out to be a sunny and warm day.  Rather than break this run down I am going to copy and paste an article that I wrote for Medium about this day.  I will post pictures at the end.  

Here is my article titled "Ultrarunning, Creativity, and Gratitude in the Midst of the COVID-19 Pandemic"-----

"As a trail and ultra runner, or maybe more of an ultra walker, I am tuned into the world of this niche sport. The definition of an ultra run is any distance greater than a marathon, so basically longer than 26.2 miles. In March all of the ultrarunning races within the near future were cancelled due to limits on social gathering. People who enjoy the pain of endurance running immediately came up with creative ideas for virtual ultra races and similar challenges. Live video streaming of these virtual ideas became popular along with other activities such as live music and talk shows. One particularly inspiring idea was a “Quarantine Backyard Ultra” conjured up by Personal Peak, a running company based in Canada. The Original Backyard Ultra concept was created about six years ago by a race director in Tennessee, Gary “Laz” Cantrell, and his event became so popular that other race directors started their own Backyard Ultras. The format consists of all runners doing a 4.167 mile lap every hour on the hour. You must complete the 4.167 miles before the end of the hour and can rest with any remaining time until the next lap begins. If you fail to complete the 4.167 miles before the end of the hour or don’t start the following lap at the top of the next hour then you are disqualified. The event will continue until there is only one person left in the race.

 Personal Peak threw together their idea for the virtual backyard ultra within a couple of days. It was free to enter and would be conducted over Zoom as each runner would set up a computer or iPad showing a streaming video of their home base. Some people were going to do it on a treadmill and others were going to do it outside. Either way you had to show proof of your result at the end of each 4.167 miles by taking a picture of your treadmill results or uploading GPS data to Strava, an exercise social media platform. Since everyone’s spring races were cancelled there was an overwhelming number of people that signed up for the Quarantine Backyard Ultra. There were 2,400 runners from across the globe, including many elite runners, who would be starting this quest on the Saturday morning of April 4th. Personal Peak also figured out they could live stream the event by broadcasting the Zoom feed over YouTube and Facebook live so that anyone could watch and interact with each other through the comments section. It really was a gift to be able to shift our anxiety about the pandemic towards the camaraderie of the community and humans in general. I did not find out about this event until a day before it started so there was not enough time to logistically plan for and run it; however, I gladly tuned into the live stream on and off all weekend. 

There were some interesting and creative folks out there, especially since the local lock down orders were stricter in some countries. One runner set up a small route in a closed coffee shop and did thousands of loops around the perimeter of tables and chairs. Another runner was actually doing tiny loops around his living room and measured to accurately know how many circles he had to do in order to achieve the required distance. There was a runner in Sweden, based in a tiny cabin North of the Arctic Circle, and she did laps around a frozen lake. Its mind blowing what humans come up with sometimes and it definitely held my attention throughout the weekend. Fifty hours into the event only two people were left dueling it out for the coveted trophy, a golden roll of toilet paper! Throughout the day on Monday I was taking breaks from work to check on the results. Two runners were heading into the 63rd hour with 258 miles under their feet and one of the guys did not start his treadmill at the top of the hour which was a rule violation. There was a technical glitch on his iPad and he did not hear the virtual bell sound which went off at the top of each hour. The other runner completed his 63rd lap and was declared the winner after going 262 miles! Both runners wanted to continue and could have easily gone much further but Personal Peak called the race completed because they adhered to the rule. I was fascinated by this event and how it brought people together. I felt inspired to do something on my own but I had to be careful due to the challenges of social distancing. At the time I was still working and doing something on a weekend would be tough because that’s when everyone around here seems to go outside.

I was furloughed from my job on April 11th and a plan was quickly put into place. The idea of doing a self-supported run from our apartment in San Francisco to the East Peak summit of Mt. Tamalpais, and return home, has been on my mind since moving here in 2018. It was a distant thought during normal life circumstances but always lingering in the back of my mind. In order to keep with the social distancing requirements a Wednesday seemed like the perfect day as the trails would be reasonably quiet. For the next few evenings my lap top was devoted to creating the route, incorporating my favorite trails, and making sure the total round-trip distance equaled fifty miles. All the logistics were set and on a Wednesday morning at 6:15 AM I set out on my journey.

There were only a few people out on bikes this early as I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and took in the view of the San Francisco skyline as the morning was coming into existence. I had a bunch of podcasts downloaded and was going to listen as I worked my way through the run but I was so deep in thought that I did not have a desire for technological stimuli. I climbed up and down the hills of the Marin Headlands, crossed through Tennessee Valley, and eventually made my way up to the East Peak of Mt. Tamalpais. The only time I turned airplane mode off from my phone was to check in by sending my wife Jessica a picture from the top of Mt. Tam letting her know I was looking back in her direction. 

So many thoughts raced through my head throughout this run about everything going on. As I made my way back along the coastal trail to Muir Beach, I began to feel the familiar mental and physical pain from all the elevation gain and miles under my feet. Climbing out of Muir Beach was very challenging. I focused my mind to what our healthcare workers and first responders are dealing with and came to the realization that my temporary pain was insignificant. My ultra marathon would be over in a few hours but their ultra marathon has been going on for quite some time with no end in sight. The gratitude for these selfless heroes gave me a boost of energy. I work with a lot of healthcare professionals and my mother is a retired a nurse and father a retired firefighter so I have always had a deep appreciation for these folks. That appreciation has risen to a new level in the current circumstances of our world. I also thought of all the grocery store workers and so many other professions who are still going out there and doing their jobs through this wild time in our life. We have come to expect and deal with certain types of disasters but I can’t imagine a virus was on the forefront of many people’s mind. Navigating back through the Marin Headlands toward the bridge I was reduced to an extremely slow foot shuffle and a lot of walking as well. When I got to the bridge, I was excited as there was only a few remaining miles between me and a shower followed by our couch. 

While crossing the Golden Gate Bridge on my way home I reflected on my personal journey throughout the day but also started to think about positive aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic. For instance, we’ve held Zoom video hang outs with friends and family on a weekly basis and attendance has been great since everyone has time. It has been years since we have spent this much time with them and it’s conveniently done through technology. Society is usually so busy that it’s eye opening when folks are forced to take a step back from crazy schedules and maybe play a game of cards or watch a movie together. In some way there is a feel that we have gone back in time. It’s also moving how people are pitching in to help out with food banks or in anyway they can. For instance, my mother has made thousands of masks for healthcare workers from her home in Ohio. Finally, the creativity of humans is what makes us a unique species that can inspire each other. Whether it’s a virtual backyard ultra or a family making a funny video together it gives me much hope for the future. The most important lessons I have learned is that we need to stick together, maybe slow things down once in a while, and really show gratitude for the unsung heroes in our society."

Pics from the run:
















No comments:

Post a Comment