Saturday, March 24, 2018

Forget the PR Race Director 50K: March 24th, 2018

This was my 7th year completing the Forget the PR 50K.  Rob Powell always let the volunteers come out and run the course before the actual event.  He handed off the race to Mark Carroll and Chad Heald they upheld the tradition and let us come out to run the course along with having beer and pizza afterwards.  It's a great tradition and since this race was my first ultra marathon back in 2012 it holds a special place in my heart.  I was also excited this year that Chas was volunteering and going to do the volunteer run with us.  It's always fun getting in some miles with all my Ohio running friends.  They really are a great group and even though I only see them a few times a year I would say they are like family to me.  This year was true race director race weather.  Pretty damn cold in the morning with a little snow on the ground and it warmed up into the low 40s throughout the day which seemed nice since we had such a cold long winter to that point.

First Trip up Big Ass Hill!

We started the race and Chas and Ron both had to run down to the laundry mat and use the bathroom.  I took off instead of waiting but I did let them catch up at the fire tower.  I started out with a group and we made our first trip up the snow covered big ass hill.  After rejoining Ron and Chas I ran with them from Fire Tower to Covered Bridge and then through the dam loop.  One difference in the course this year was that it was not marked.  Many of us thought we knew the way and through a series of different decisions on the dam loop we managed to get some bonus miles.  I stayed true to the course after we accidentally added some distance and I think I ended up going 33 miles or so.  It was really nice of Kathy to volunteer to give us an aid station at the covered bridge she had all kinds of goodies for us.  Also, Bree, Robbie, and the kids were at the fire tower and Mohican Adventures for us which was great as well.  It's so nice that people volunteer for the volunteers race!  After leaving the covered bridge to head back toward Mo Adventures I had to duck into a rest room and could not catch back up with Ron and Chas.  That was ok because I needed to go at my own pace for a little while.

Still Fresh, on the way to Fire Tower
Catherine, Chas, Ron, and Amy coming into Fire Tower
I got back near the campground, Ron and Chas were heading out for loop two.  I went to my car and refueled.  Then I went down to the pavilion at Mo Adventures where Bree, Robbie, and the kids were.  I hung out for a little while and then headed out for loop two.  I was definitely hurting as this was the first race of the year and I was under trained.  I powered through the last loop and was extremely glad to be finished.  The warm room at Trails End along with some pizza and a few beers really hit the spot.  It was so nice seeing everyone and getting to hang out afterwards.  This event has really become part of my life and I cherish it each and every time.  Got a coffee to go and drove back to Seth and Tania's house, where we were staying, for a few more beers with Jessica and the Petersons!  

Here are some more pics from the day:
Robbie dropping some knowledge!
Covered Bridge mayhem

One of the many climbs on the dam loop
About to go up the dam stairs



Second and last time up Big Ass Hill





No comments:

Post a Comment